Since 2001, we restored, maintained, and revitalized the 41-acre section of Elm Park, adding a number of new park amenities and helping to make the park a safe, welcoming, and engaging place.
The Friends of Newton Hill was formed to promote the restoration, maintenance, and use of the Newton Hill section of Elm Park. The group is dedicated to maintaining the park’s natural beauty, its trails and paths.
What We've Achieved
- Installed a flower bed around the flagpole and along Pleasant St next to the tennis courts (2018)
- Cleared out undergrowth around the summit facing Park Ave (2018)
- Installed a 30' fiberglass flagpole and 6 granite benches at the summit (2017)
- Installed a 12-station fitness circuit (2015)
- 15 fruit trees planted at the summit to make the Edward Winslow Lincoln Memorial Grove (2014)
- Installed an 18-hole disc golf course (2009)
- Became the first location of the 'Youth Summer Work Program' (2005) which later became the city's Park Stewards Summer Jobs Program
- Established the neighborhood watch (2005)
- Commissioned the Newton Hill Masterplan (2005)
- Held summer concerts at Newton Square (2003-Present)
- Held Earth Day Cleanups (2002-Present)